- Banking and finance
- Banking and capital markets regulation
- Insurance and reinsurance
- Notarial services
- Litigation and arbitration
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Corporate law and commercial law
Our lawyers have a long track record acting for banks and other financial institutions as well as for investors and corporations in financing transactions of all kinds. We advise on Acquisition Finance, Real Estate Finance, Corporate Finance, Bond Financing (including the preparation of issue prospectuses), Project Finance (infrastructure projects, renewable energy projects on- and off-shore including the structuring of funds and the preparation of issue prospectuses) and Start-Up-Financing including Venture Loans.
We see ourselves as project managers. Our teams are carefully selected and will be led by a directly involved partner. Each lawyer takes immediate responsibility vis-à-vis the client for the successful completion of the transaction.
Time pressure is a particular feature of many transactions. Our clients rightfully expect that any project will be completed swiftly and smoothly. They are not interested in abstract legal issues but expect us to provide them with the best possible solution in the given circumstances.
We advise banks and financial institutions, industry and service businesses as well as start-ups in all matters of banking and financial services regulatory law. This includes:
- Developing regulatory concepts for new business models, as well as for the outsourcing or restructuring of existing business models
- Applications for licensing and registration pursuant to the German Banking Act (Kreditwesengesetz), the Payment Services Supervision Act (Zahlungsdiensteaufsichtsgesetz) and the Capital Investment Code (Kapitalanlagegesetzbuch), as well as representation in and out of court vis-à-vis supervisory authorities
- Structuring of capital and liquidity measures from the regulatory perspective
- Developing retail structures and compliance procedures (including anti-money-laundering compliance, anti-market-abuse and insider law compliance)
- Incorporation, acquisition and sale of banks and financial service providers as well as branches thereof in Germany and abroad
We advise insurance and reinsurance companies in and out of court in all issues concerning insurance and reinsurance law, including insurance supervision law.
We structure and negotiate Insurance and Reinsurance Agreements and advise in all related issues of insurance law, including retailing issues.
We advise on Insurance Supervision Law, including administrative proceedings with insurance supervisory authorities.
We have considerable expertise in the area of Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation and Arbitration. We act for German and international insurers, reinsurers, retrocessionnaires as well as banks and other financial service providers both in court and in arbitration proceedings in Germany and abroad.
We have a strong notarial practice with the three experienced notaries Dr. Thomas Lindemann, Dr. Andreas Schwennicke and Dr. Konrad Rusch.
A focus point of our notarial services is corporate law (companies with limited liability – GmbH, stock corporations – AG, partnerships, transformations and mergers of companies) and real estate law.
We represent financial institutions and businesses in all kinds of business litigation.
One focus of our Litigation Practice is the representation of banks and financial service providers, for example in the defense against liability claims arising out of structured finance products. We have broad expertise in litigation surrounding investment funds of all asset types, and in litigation regarding derivative financial products (e.g. swaps).
We conduct Arbitration Proceedings on the basis of all major rules of arbitration. We are active in various arbitration networks and up-to-date with current developments of the German and international arbitration practice. Partners of our firm are regularly appointed as arbitrators in national and international arbitration proceedings.
Our lawyers have long-standing experience advising in restructurings, on the side of the banks as well as on the side of the investors and of the company to be restructured, including its management. This includes:
- Restructuring of complex financing structures through measures such as debt equity swaps, debt mezzanine swaps or trusteeship models
- Representing banks and investors, but also groups of creditors such as suppliers or customers of the insolvent business, in all matters in and out of court, such as negotiations with the insolvency administrator, insolvency plans, asset deals and security enforcement
- Representing bond holders as joint agent pursuant to the German Debt Securities Act (Schuldverschreibungsgesetz)
- Organizing foreclosure auctions of real estate
- Court representation in litigation brought by insolvency administrators against banks
We advise our clients in all legal matters of banking and finance. This requires a broad expertise of also corporate law and commercial law in general. For example, competent advisory on acquisition finance or corporate finance requires a thorough understanding of the underlying commercial and company law structures. The advisory on real estate finance requires a deep understanding of real estate law, including construction law and tenancy law. We have a thorough expertise in all these areas through our long- standing services as attorneys-at-law and public notaries.
In order to provide excellent legal advice, legal developments must be anticipated in good time. Therefore, we are active in the legal debate on current issues of banking law, as an investment in the know-how of our lawyers, to the advantage of our clients.
You will find a list of recent publications of our lawyers here.